Support you Deserve

FBAR Tax Filing

Who must file an FBAR?

The Who, What, When, How And Why Of FBAR Filing

In today's growing, global economy, it is fairly common for U.S. taxpayers to have a financial account (banking, pension, investment, etc.) located outside of the U.S. But you may be surprised to know that just by keeping your money in a foreign account, you might have to file a special form with FinCEN, the U.S. Treasury Department's Financial Crimes and Enforcement Network or else face heavy penalties. This special form is commonly called “FBAR” or FinCEN Form 114, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts.

If you're looking to be spared from the wrath of the FBAR penalties, make sure to file your FBAR timely. The FBAR must be filed by the individual tax filing due date if you had a foreign account or multiple foreign accounts during the tax year that together totaled more than $10,000 at any point during the year. However, FinCEN has granted an automatic six-month extension if you have filed an extension for your individual tax return.

Not sure whether you must file an FBAR? We're here to help break down your top questions of FBAR filing.

Who Must File An FBAR?

Whether you live in the U.S. or abroad, every U.S. person (U.S. citizens, green card holders, resident aliens) is required to file an FBAR if they are an owner, nominee, or can control the distribution of the account's funds. If the combined balance of all your accounts is more than $10,000 at any point during the calendar year, you must file the form.

For example, suppose you are a U.S. citizen living in Canada and you have two checking accounts and a savings account at a Canadian bank that together held $15,000 during the last year. In this case, you must file an FBAR for the year even if each account only held $5,000.

Foreign financial accounts include bank accounts, securities accounts, and certain foreign retirement arrangements. Accounts located outside of the 50 states, D.C., the U.S. possessions, and tribal territory are considered “foreign” accounts for FBAR purposes. Certain jointly owned accounts, correspondent or nostro accounts, and accounts held by governmental entities generally are not subject to the FBAR filing requirement.

What Else Do I Need To Know?

You will need to complete Schedule B, Part III of your tax return and possibly Form 8938. Form 8938 is part of your tax return, unlike the FBAR which is filed separately.

Generally, U.S. citizens and resident aliens report all worldwide income, including income from foreign trusts and foreign bank and securities accounts, such as interest income. In most cases, these taxpayers need to complete and attach Schedule B (Form 1040) to their tax returns. Part III of Schedule B asks about the existence of foreign accounts, such as bank and securities accounts, and also requires U.S. citizens to report the country in which each account is located.

In addition, some of you may also have to complete and attach Form 8938 to your return. Generally, U.S. citizens, resident aliens and certain nonresident aliens must report specified foreign financial assets on this form if the aggregate value of those assets exceeds certain thresholds. See the instructions of this form for details.

Note that filing the Form 8938 does not replace or otherwise affect your requirement to file FBAR (FinCEN Form 114). A brief comparison of the filing requirements for FBAR and Form 8938 is available on

When Is The FBAR Due? Can I Submit My FBAR With My Regular Tax Return?

The due date of the FBAR was April 18, 2017 for all filers. However, do not worry if you have not filed as of yet as the deadline is automatically extended to October 16, 2017 if you have not filed by the April deadline (or June if living abroad). This automatic extension is expected to apply to all future years as well, essentially making the deadline for the FBAR the Oct. 15th extension date.

The FBAR is not filed with a federal tax return; rather, it is filed separately and directly with FinCEN. Importantly, if you are required to file an FBAR, you must file the form even if you are not required to file a U.S. return with the IRS.

How Do I File FBAR? Your FBAR must be filed electronically through FinCEN's BSA E-Filing System or by utilizing a preparation service that has the ability to file the form. In very few situations are you able to file a joint FBAR. If you own accounts jointly with your spouse, and either none or only one of you own a separate account, you are able file a single report. Otherwise, each spouse must file their own. Note that if you are filing prior year FBARs or amended FBARs, you must still use FinCEN's website to do so and you must file separate accounts.

Why Should I File FBAR?

Under the current FBAR rules, if you are required to file but either you do not file on time or if you do not correctly report your foreign accounts, you can be subject to a penalty of up to $10,000 per violation. This is true even if you did not know you were required to file. If you are aware of your requirement and do not file an accurate FBAR, or if you fail to file it on time, you could get hit with a $100,000 penalty per violation or an even higher penalty, depending on your account balances at the time of the violation.

As you can imagine, with these penalties, FBAR filings have increased for 9 of the last 10 years, starting at about 280,000 FBARs filed in 2005, according to the IRS and FinCEN. For calendar year 2015, more than 1 million FBAR filings were filed.

Phone Number
Best time to call

[ Show a different Image ]

What Others Say

"You guys rock! The service was excellent. Thank you for making it painless, pleasant and most of all hassle free!"

"I have gotten at least 50 times the value from Saleem Lakhani CPA PLLC. Thanks for the great service. It's exactly what I've been looking for."

"Thanks guys, keep up the good work! No matter where you go, Saleem Lakhani CPA PLLC is the best, most professional CPA firm around! I'd be lost without them."